1. India ranked 74th on the Global Energy Transition Index
As per the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual rankings, India has secured the 74th position on the global Energy Transition Index (ETI). In the previous year, India ranked 76th.India showed improvements in all key parameters of economic growth, energy security, and environmental sustainability.
In WEF rankings, Sweden topped for a third consecutive year in the ETI. It is followed by Switzerland and Finland in the second and third positions respectively.
The 2020 results showed that 75% of countries have improved their environmental sustainability.
2. Italy develops “iFeel-You” bracelet for social distancing
The Genoa-based Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has come up with “iFeel-You”, an intelligent bracelet that will help users respect social distancing rules.
The bracelet has been developed as the measures for safeguarding against the coronavirus lockdown is being gradually lifted.
It uses a radio signal only when another bracelet is approaching, it does not use GPS and therefore does not keep track of user locations. It just reminds us when needed that we are not observing social distancing rules.
3. Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) canteens to sell only indigenous products
Home minister Amit Shah appealed to people to use products made in India and ordered all Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) canteens to sell only indigenous products.
He asked people to make the country self-reliant and use local products (products made in India) which pave the way for India to lead the world in the times to come. The Ministry of Home Affairs has decided that all CAPF canteens will now sell only indigenous products across the country from next month.
The CAPFs — CRPF, BSF, CISF, ITBP, SSB, NSG and Assam Rifles, canteens together sell products worth about ₹2,800 crore annually.
4. Power distribution companies to get emergency liquidity infusion of Rs 90,000 crore
In a relief to Power Distribution companies, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a liquidity flow of 90 thousand crore rupees to the PFCs and RECs.
Vivaad se Vishwas scheme has also been extended up to 31st December without obligation of any extra payment. India’s power distribution sector is passing through a turbulent phase on the back of large accumulated dues to be paid to generators, liquidity issues due to restricted cash flow.
Discom payables to power generation and transmission companies currently stand at Rs 94,000 crore. The commercial and industrial sector in India consumes around 52 per cent of electricity, followed by 24 per cent by domestic households and 18 per cent by agriculture sector.
5. President Kovind pays homage to former President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed on his birth anniversary
President Ram Nath Kovind paid homage to former President of India, Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed on his birth anniversary at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed was the fifth President of India from 1974 to 1977 and also the 2nd President of India to die in office.
Ahmed was chosen for the presidency by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1974, and on 20 August 1974, he became the second Muslim to be elected President of India.
6. Bengaluru’s Kempegowda Airport honoured as best regional airport in India & Central Asia; Singapore Changi crowned as World’s Best
The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) in Bengaluru (Karnataka) has won the SKYTRAX Award 2020 for Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia. It ranks 68th in World’s Top 100 Airports 2020 list, which was topped by Singapore Changi Airport.
This was 3rd time the KIA got this honor in last 4 years after it was adjudged the best airport in India in 2011 and the second-best airport in India in 2012. While, Changi Airport is voted the World’s Best Airport for the eighth consecutive year.
7. Akhil Kumar re-inducted into NADA disciplinary panelFormer Commonwealth Games gold-winning Indian boxer Akhil Kumar, 39 years old, was re-inducted into the National Anti-Doping Agency’s (NADA) Disciplinary Panel. He was formerly in the panel from 2017 to 2019.
Akhil Kumar currently serves as the ACP (Assistant Commissioner of Police) Gurugram, Haryana. He practices an “open guarded” boxing style.
8. V. Vidyavathi becomes new DG of Archaeological Survey of IndiaIAS officer V. Vidyavathi is appointed as the new Director-General of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) effective from 12th May 2020. She is a 1991 batch Karnataka cadre officer.
Vidyavathi will be serving in the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India.
Her appointment is confirmed by the order of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
9. 25% cut in TDS and TCS rates till 31st of March 2021; Income Tax return extended till Nov 30In a major announcement by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) and Tax Collected at Source (TCS) have been reduced by 25 percent till 31st March of next year. This decision will increase cash flow of over 50 thousand crore rupees benefitting common people.
The date for filing Income Tax return for the last financial year has also been extended till 30th November, while the last date for filing tax audits has been extended from 30th September to 31st October.
The Finance Minister also announced reduction of statutory provident fund contribution by both employers and employees to 10 percent of basic wages from the existing 12 per cent for the next three months.
The decision has been taken to facilitate more take-home salary for employees and give relief to employers in payment of PF dues, resulting in a liquidity ease of 6,750 crore rupees.
10. Former National Table Tennis champion Manmeet Singh Walia passed away at 58Former National Table Tennis (TT) champion Manmeet Singh Walia, passed away at the age of 58 in Montreal,Canada.
He became the national champion in 1989 when he beat S Sriram in the men’s singles final in Hyderabad. He was also one of the finest and consistent performers in the 1980’s.